It’s National Breakfast Week!
This map explores the cultural diversity within the city by looking at some of the breakfasts people from lots of different cultural backgrounds eat.
It also links to recipes for each of the meals, so you can try your hand at making something a little different for breakfast, too. Click here to check it out!
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, seeds removed, chopped
1 green pepper, seeds removed, chopped
1 scotch bonnet chilli, seeds removed, chopped
450g/1lb salt cod, soaked in water overnight (water
changed several times)
450g/1lb canned ackee, drained
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
A pinch of black pepper
2 ripe plantains, peeled and cut diagonally
A pinch of salt
• Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and peppers. Fry over a
medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
• Stir in the chilli.
• Drain the salt cod and rinse. Pat dry and add to the peppers and onion.
• Add the ackee and fry for 5 minutes, until cooked through. Break up the
cod into pieces as it cooks.
• Add thyme and black pepper.
• Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the plantains on both sides.
• Drain on paper towels.
• Remove plantains from pan
and rest on paper towels.
• Sprinkle with salt.